By David Foster Wallace
Do lobsters suppose ache? Did Franz Kafka have a humorous bone? what's John Updike's deal, besides? And what occurs whilst grownup video starlets meet their enthusiasts in individual? David Foster Wallace solutions those questions and extra in essays which are additionally captivating narrative adventures. even if protecting the three-ring circus of a vicious presidential race, plunging into the wars among dictionary writers, or confronting the World's greatest Lobster Cooker on the annual Maine Lobster competition, Wallace tasks a high quality of proposal that's uniquely his and a voice as robust and specific as any in American letters.
Read Online or Download Consider the Lobster and Other Essays PDF
Best essays books
Lengthy acknowledged as certainly one of Britain's best mountain writers, this assortment brings jointly the easiest of Jim Perrin's essays and articles on hiking. Perrin has chosen those from 4 many years of describing and commenting at the adventure of rock-climbing and the characters of the hiking group and contains infrequent, uncollected items, giant new essays, ones which have been lengthy out of print, and a long and frank autobiographical creation from one of many wild and subversive cult and grassroots figures of the British recreation.
This can be the 1st significant selection of feedback on Black American cinema. From the pioneering paintings of Oscar Micheaux and Wallace Thurman to the Hollywood good fortune of Spike Lee, Black American filmmakers have performed a impressive function within the improvement of the yank movie, either autonomous and mainstream.
Whereas a lot has been written approximately social justice, much more has been written approximately democracy. not often is the connection among social justice and democracy rigorously thought of. Does justice require democracy? Will democracy carry justice? This quantity brings jointly top authors who give some thought to the connection of democracy and justice.
- The Fifth Impossibility: Essays on Exile and Language (The Margellos World Republic of Letters)
- Conflict and Amity in East Asia: Essays in Honour of Ian Nish
- Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door
- Gnostica, Judaica, Catholica. Collected Essays of Gilles Quispel
Extra resources for Consider the Lobster and Other Essays
Yet what of material culture and technological interchange? We tend to overlook that the exchange is always two-way, without denying that something in the exchange is not equal. The Spanish horse and later the rifle, completely changed the life-styles of plains Indians— in fact the romantic image of the roving hunters and migratory peoples which inhabit our imaginations were already postexchange social pat terns. Similarly at the level of material culture, who are the Irish without the potato, the Italians without the tomato, the New Englander without corn, or the world without tobacco?
3. Similar praxes may utilize different technologies and remain parallel. The resistance to adapt multihulls by Westerners and the coun- 41 TECHNOLOGY AS CULTURAL INSTRUMENT terpart resistance to monohulls by Pacific Islanders illustrate this phe nomenon. Only by changing the context, the cultural trajectory itself, would adaptation occur. What these variants show—at the social-cultural level—is that just as at the individual level technologies must be understood as humantechnology pairings, so must they be conceived at the social-cultural level.
Of course, one might ar- 26 POSTMODERNITY AND TECHNOCULTURE gue—and this argument has often enough been made—that what differs was the rapacious and hungry culture that Europe had become and within which Columbus's voyages must be located. 8 Thus, the Hindu prayer wheel, adapted, became the windmill that drained the marshes and claimed lowlands of Holland. The stirrup adapted from ancient Mongol designs became the platform for the early form of a battle "tank," the mounted knight with horse powered lance for forward thrust.
Consider the Lobster and Other Essays by David Foster Wallace